Friday, April 13, 2012

Woodpecker from my new hide


Syrian Woodpecker nesting, Syrian Woodpecker nesting season, woodpecker,woodpecker couple,woodpecker nesting season,
A woodpecker couple is nesting on the tree outside in our garden. The idea of taking some pictures of them past my mind already a few times. I have even tried it  before but until today with no successes.
The woodpecker is a really suspicious, shy and hyperactive "model" so its a bit frustrating to get a decent shot of it. Once your spotted it wouldn't come near, especially if you are holding one of this dangerous looking tele lenses.

Around this time of the year (beginning to middle of April)  its breeding season begins, so i know there will be a lot of movement around their nesting hole. This fact brought me to the decision its a good time to bring my plan into action.
In front of the nesting hole there is a small shad. I only had to take out all the junk, clean it a bit, hang a sheet where the door used to be and cut out a small hole, where i could peep out with the lens. As i finished to cut out the hole i tested it out, to be sure that its big enough and at the right angle. While testing the woodpecker arrived looked quickly around and dived in to its hole. I was so happy, everything is ready and it doesn't realize i'm sitting 4 meters from its nest. It was getting dark so there was no reason to stay in my hide anymore.

My plan for the next day was to wake up before sunrise,
slip into my hide and wait for the couple as they wake up in the morning. It was a good plan but unfortunately didn't work out. The alarm clock didn't went of, so instead of waking up at 4:45 i woke up at at 7:53. At first i was a bit disappointed but decided not to give up. I grabbed my equipment, went outside and looked around carefully before i slipped into my hide. I didn't want to get spotted it could have ruined everything. It didn't take long until a head showed up through the hole, it was the male. He looked around enjoyed the sun and flew away. A few minutes later came the female she looked around and slipped in. I was sitting for about one hour observing their behavior and beauty. They where switching shifts every once in awhile.
I had the feeling they suspect i'm watching them. It was enough to move my finger a bit on the trigger and they would look straight into my eye, i don't know if i was imagining it or they really knew i'm sitting and watching them from so close.
After awhile came a small lizard that wanted to go into their hole, immediately the woodpecker jumped out of it and scared it of. Unfortunately it happened too fast, i didn't even have time to press the trigger. It was amazing to realize what great hearing sense they have. Only trough the sound of its footsteps on the trunk it knew its coming.

After about an hour i had to finish my session the sun was already to high in the sky and the nesting hole got shaded from the tree plumage. I am really satisfied from my first day in my hide and tomorrow ill dive into it again. This time hopefully, before sunrise. This is my first picture from the hide and soon ill upload some more from the upcoming sessions...

No comments:

Post a Comment